Soon after Kimutai apparently ate the Furadan, the boy began to show signs of paralysis and later became unconscious.
Kigai said no toxicology tests had been conducted on the child's body, which was buried weeks ago.
"I don't know what I can do," Kigai said. "I have already buried my son. I am mourning my son."
U.S.-based FMC said it was investigating the poisoning case and would work with local nonprofits to learn what happened.
"FMC is deeply concerned about reports received over the weekend of a suspected case of human poisoning in Kenya, possibly involving Furadan," FMC spokesperson Jim Fitzwater said in an email.
"The company is immediately beginning an investigation and has directed its team members in Kenya to gather more facts."
Dereck Joubert, a National Geographic explorer-in-residence who has campaigned against Furadan, is seeking to have the product banned not just from Kenya but the entire continent.
"We need to use whatever networks we've got, whatever political power we've got, to impose on FMC to pull this product out of Africa—that's the bottom line."
SOURCES AND RELATED WEB SITES