Boy Dies After Eating Lion-Killing Pesticide, Dad Says

<< Back to Page 1   Page 2 of 2

Soon after Kimutai apparently ate the Furadan, the boy began to show signs of paralysis and later became unconscious.

Kigai said no toxicology tests had been conducted on the child's body, which was buried weeks ago.

"I don't know what I can do," Kigai said. "I have already buried my son. I am mourning my son."

Investigation

U.S.-based FMC said it was investigating the poisoning case and would work with local nonprofits to learn what happened.

"FMC is deeply concerned about reports received over the weekend of a suspected case of human poisoning in Kenya, possibly involving Furadan," FMC spokesperson Jim Fitzwater said in an email.

"The company is immediately beginning an investigation and has directed its team members in Kenya to gather more facts."

Dereck Joubert, a National Geographic explorer-in-residence who has campaigned against Furadan, is seeking to have the product banned not just from Kenya but the entire continent.

"We need to use whatever networks we've got, whatever political power we've got, to impose on FMC to pull this product out of Africa—that's the bottom line."

<< Back to Page 1   Page 2 of 2


SOURCES AND RELATED WEB SITES

ADVERTISEMENT

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC'S PHOTO OF THE DAY

NEWS FEEDS     After installing a news reader, click on this icon to download National Geographic News's XML/RSS feed.   After installing a news reader, click on this icon to download National Geographic News's XML/RSS feed.

Get our news delivered directly to your desktop—free.
How to Use XML or RSS

National Geographic Daily News To-Go

Listen to your favorite National Geographic news daily, anytime, anywhere from your mobile phone. No wires or syncing. Download Stitcher free today.
Click here to get 12 months of National Geographic Magazine for $15.