The elephant was electrocuted after it touched a live wire with its trunk, the Indo-Asian News Service reported.
The elephant had strayed away from a herd of 15 to 20 elephants, which had entered the garden in search of food.
More Photos in the News Today's Top 15 Most Popular Stories Free Email Newsletter: "Focus on Photography"
Get our news delivered directly to your desktop free.
How to use XML or RSS
Sign up for our free Inside National Geographic newsletter.
Every two weeks we'll send you our top stories and pictures (see sample).