A sign warns swimmers about the danger of shark attacksSydney, Australia.
While sharks rarely attack humans, there are several things you can do to minimize your risk of being attacked:
• Don't swim early in the morning or in the evening, when sharks are most actively looking for food.
• Don't wear shiny jewelry, which looks like fish scales to sharks, or bright clothes, as sharks can see contrast easily.
• Don't swim in murky waters.
• Avoid areas where sharks are known to prowl, as well as areas where fishermen are using bait that could attract sharks.
• Stay in groupssharks are much more likely to attack an isolated individual.
Photograph by Jeffrey L. Rotman/CORBIS